The Reasons I Hate...

The Reasons I Hate Nancy Grace Are Far More Numerous Than The Reasons I Love You


I'm coughing after a certain paranoid member of my family sprayed down this Marriott unit to death with dysinfectant. I would have done the same...minus the ethanol cloud. This family member, after discovering that the windows of the room don't open, tosses a fit..."what if something happens? Then we are trapped..." These comments and actions are coupled with the rule of never sharing toothpaste because germs will be transferred and always unbuckle your seatbelt when you're pumping gas, "in case something happens". [Sarcasticly-Nodding-and-Doing-the-Sarcastic-Eye-and-Mouth-Thing] I completely understand and I love my family member. [Seriously]

[So] we are going to my Grandmother's house for Thanksgiving. This is a major family event and it most always turns into a week-long affair, as is the case this year. The drive from Atlanta to Greenville South Carolina on Friday night was the first leg of the trip. I was suprised I didn't get pulled over by Carolina's Finest as I was utilizing the techniques I picked up from those 80-90mph rendezvous with the 75/85 Connector. [will she stop with the spray!] We made it in no time because of this and I was going on my 30th sleepless hour. I survived with a Rockstar, Dr. Pepper, Giant Chewy Sweetarts and Twizzlers...cuisine of a dork on road trips. A little Radiohead and a lot of Modest Mouse were also of assistance. We crashed at my brother's for the 10 hour uneventful layover.

Morning was cold and was also the time I wished for a family of my own. I wish I invited [I did, but too late] a friend up...and wished they came. I'm not the type to look back so our 2nd leg of the trip began with reassigning travel partners. After I reluctantly lost the one-sided debate [six against one, I felt like Kucinich] my car was left behind and I ended up in the Range Rover under one condition, my music plays...early and often. It did...just early.

The often was occupied by Arrested Development. This was one of the best shows, I'm not sure why it only lasted 3 seasons. Great cast [David Cross [who is the man] Michael Cear and Will Arnett just to name a few] and great writers....just poor marketing. Not many people knew or know about it.

We make it to my hometown of Newport News, Virginia. Crossing the James River bridge is a sight. We get to City Center in Oyster Point, Virginia and I was impressed. A lot has changed. Within a couple of hours I'm involved in a conversation with an older family member. I mention how I'm ready for family, he talks about fishing, his arthritis and we dance around the subject of his son. Theodore was my cousin. He was a Marine deployed in Afghanistan. From what I understand, he was participating in an undercover assignment and because of his appearance he blended in with the villagers. Long story short he was killed in his vehicle by an explosive device.

...okay

Not to take anything away from 50 Foot Wave because I really really like them, but they sound like a more uptempo Silversun Pickups. I despise comparing bands...especially the good indie ones because they are all very different. Golden Ocean is their release and it is hideously awesome.

I've had my first experiences with Radiohead. A friend was very adamant that I give them a listen because Radiohead is the 'best band ever'. I like them...but noithing special. I don't know what it is.

AaRON [Artificial Animals Riding On Neverland] is probably what Radiohead was trying to accomplish. [I'm only kidding!] They are nothing like Radiohead...because AaRON doesn't suck. [I'm joking] Just smooth indieness. Michel Gondry is responsible for Radiohead's so called 'success'.

'Hay, que gente' is what a friend or something would often say. I never found the meaning of it, but Kings Of Convenience [Riot On Empty Street] makes me want to say it and it feels like it applies. You almost beat me to them Gina...not quite.

Small Leaks Sink Ships [Until The World Is Happy; Wake Up You Sleepyhead Sun] is like going to recess in elementary school. When they pop up in my random playlist there is just a new energy pumping through the ear buds. Dear Dictator and Truth Of Transition are perfect examples.

I'm really into The Shape Of Broad Minds [Craft Of The Lost Art] and the title of their release is the sum of everything. I stopped listening to hip-hop a while ago but these guys may bring me back into the fold.

American Gangster fucking sucked....and you know it

2 echoes:

At November 20, 2007 at 11:11 AM sub_par said...
This comment has been removed by the author.  
At November 20, 2007 at 11:14 AM sub_par said...

I had your effing guts. American Gangster did not suck...I don't think. I fell asleep.

Miss you!

 

Post a Comment

listen